Thursday, January 19, 2006

I got my parents a GPS



I kind of got it late but I decided to get my parents a GPS navigation system for Christmas. So it came in today and arrived at their door step. They give me a call at work and asked if I had bought a map. I'm think ... a map why would they think that...or even call me at work to ask if I had bought a map. Well it turns out they were referring to the navigation system..... and in the package was the receipt :-(. I honestly couldn't tell if my mom was pissed because I spent a ridiculous amount of money for a top of the line electronic gadget or happy to get something really high tech. (keep in mind my parents just learned how to turn on a computer a month ago and this week they just learned about the internet). I was trying to explain to my mom that she would never get lost visiting her uncle in San Jose or visiting my brother in San Francisco. (my uncle has lived in the exact same place for 30 years and still seems to get lost to his house every weekend). Also this meant the end of printing door to door maps off of mapsquest for my parents ;-) So I decided to take her out for a drive to show her how it works. The device seems to be pretty accurate ... in a ladies voice it tells you what streets to turn on, how far away the next turn is, the closest gas station, restaurants...it's pretty cool. Now my mom thinks it's just incredibly magic and starts trying to see if she can have a conversation with the GPS navigation device.......after I told her that the voice prompts are all pre-programmed she becomes puzzled. I finally tell her that the little box with a screen doesn't have any ears and only has a mouth then finally understood what I was trying to say. By the end she realized how practical this little device is and was very happy.

2 Comments:

Blogger cindy said...

haha. that sounds like something my mom would do ... she'd think there are little gnomes in the tv who act in the tv dramas if she wasn't told otherwise

January 20, 2006 9:28 AM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

wow.. looks like something that i need exactly. i wouldn't want a girl telling me where to turn though because that's sorta insulting. Can't they come up with a version which has xzibit telling me where to turn to?

January 21, 2006 12:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home