Monday, October 16, 2006

India Day2: The streets of chaos


So this morning as I was going to work it was the first day light I've seen since I've arrived in Chennai, India. I was surprised by how 3rd world it is for a place where large informaiton technology offices are located. Half the roads are still made out of dirt with the shoulders with litter. Houses are made out of brick or straw or little aluminum. Manual labor for construction is common. Actually manual labor for anything is common (they won't even let me server my own food...sorry dudes thats cool and everything to be pampered but I don't like to be dependant on things).

Traffic is worse than NY or LA. It took me an hour for me to go down 10 miles. This is because there's no organization when people drive in the streets. Pedestrians, motorcyclists, buses, cows, dogs, and cars all share the same road cutting each other off. I'm not kidding. I freaked out when a father, son, and daughter riding on the same motorcycle with no helmets cut me off not realizing he could have been hit if my driver wasn't looking. Seems like it's common because all the motorcyclists were cutting everyone off including buses. Now I'm wondering how often are there accidents here?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home