Thursday, May 12, 2005

Technology: Major Value Depreciation


I thought it was ridiculous when I bought my new car that the second I drove my car off the lot the value of my car depreciated by 20 percent. But technology.... That's a different story.

I just bought a canon s410 digital camera for like $425. There were some mechanical issues and decided to take advantage of the manufacturer warranty. I hesitate at first since I had to spend 20 bucks for the shipping since the nearest canon servicing department is located in Illinois. There's no guarantee additional charges may even apply for non-mechanical defects. I just received my camera from the servicing department but I still notice another sound as I zoom in and out. It's not as apparent as it was before or am I just anal? If there's potential for the item to bust I figured it would be smart to take care of it now. Is this even all worth it?

I decided to make a trip to the Best Buy to see if they had my camera. I wanted to see if it's just a common functionality of the camera. It turns out my camera has already been phased out and no longer carry the model I have. The s410 has been replaced with the SD400 and SD500 which are half as thick, twice as fast, and it's screen is twice the size of the s410. I look down at the price tag in it's a hundred bucks cheaper. HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!!!.

I'm just going to ride with my camera until it breaks. There's no point trying to keep up with the latest technology. In a matter of a year a two my camera would end up obsolete. The real value are the memories it captures.

Computers.......Another bad investment and another story.....

I say boycott technology and revert back to living like the Amish.

1 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

It's not about the size, it's how you use it? I still think the s410 is one sexy little camera, and it hasn't malfunctioned for me yet.

May 13, 2005 8:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home